[yt-dev] power spectra in yt

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 04:15:54 PDT 2014

Hi Mike,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Michael Zingale
<michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> Dear yters,

Oh, don't say that like you're not one of us.  :-)

> I am interested in using yt to do power spectra for analyzing turbulence in
> our simulations.  I quickly coded up a script to do this (warning: I haven't
> verified this, so some of the normalization may be wrong, but it doesn't
> assume a cubic domain, and it looked ok by eye):
>
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4528/
>
> The caveat is that we need to put this onto a uniform grid to do the FFT,
> but then we can use the numpy FFT routines.

This is quite nice.

> I think that it would be nice to have some sort of power spectrum
> functionality built into yt.  One thing that I don't know is what sort of
> things do people in other fields look at?  For our work, we look at the
> power spectrum of a density-weighted velocity field (rho**1/3 U for
> stratified flows gives the expected Kolmogorov scaling).

I would strongly support this.  I know Jeff Oishi has looked a little
bit at this, and I think Sam Skillman has lately been doing things
with developing 2PCFs.

> The other thing is what sort of interface and where should this live in yt?
> Ideally we'd compute some other properties (integral scales, etc.), but it
> would be nice to have some discussion about what people use and then we can
> start woth some basic functionality.

I think analysis_modules for now would be perfect.  And I tend to
agree that we could do the optional dependency on FFTW, like Britton
said, but I also seem to recall Jeff has a new set of FFTW bindings
that work with MPI.

-Matt