[yt-dev] problem with non-periodic domain and rendering

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 21:38:56 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately the rendering framework currently relies upon being able to
create a smoothed covering grid to calculate vertex centered data, which
has not been implemented for non-periodic boundary conditions.  If the
quality of the rendering using no_ghost=True is not good enough, then
perhaps try creating a region that is the entire volume except the outer
cell:

root_dds = pf.domain_width/pf.domain_dimensions
half_w = pf.domain_width/2. - root_dds
reg = pf.region(pf.domain_center, pf.domain_center-half_w,
pf.domain_center+half_w)

then supply that reg to the camera as data_source=reg in the constructor.
 This requires being on yt-3.0, which I think you are.

I *think* that should allow the no_ghost=False to get the vertex centered
data using a smoothed covering grid the size of the full domain (but not
beyond).

The longer term fix is to use meaningful boundary conditions to calculate
covering grids that extend beyond the domain.  I'm not sure what the
roadmap for that is...

Best,
Sam