[yt-dev] power spectra in yt

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:02:50 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I am interested in using yt to do power spectra for analyzing turbulence
> in our simulations.  I quickly coded up a script to do this (warning: I
> haven't verified this, so some of the normalization may be wrong, but it
> doesn't assume a cubic domain, and it looked ok by eye):
>

> I think this is a very good idea. I have coded up something similar myself
> recently:
>
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4529/
>
> It creates a "FourierSpace" class that can be used to create power spectra
> and potentially other useful things from FFTs. It needs some work.
>
> The caveat is that we need to put this onto a uniform grid to do the FFT,
> but then we can use the numpy FFT routines.
>

> Or you could use pyFFTW, which is probably faster:
>
> http://hgomersall.github.io/pyFFTW/

Linking to FFTW is tempting since ostensibly it allows Fourier transforms
of arbitrarily huge arrays, while numpy will fall over once you run out of
memory on one node.

That said, it would require a new dependency.  We do have analysis modules
that require separate dependencies from the rest of yt, but it's not
optimal and adds some friction to new users who want to use the analysis
module.

> The other thing is what sort of interface and where should this live in
> yt?  Ideally we'd compute some other properties (integral scales, etc.),
> but it would be nice to have some discussion about what people use and then
> we can start woth some basic functionality.
>

> I think something like this should live in yt/analysis_modules.

Agreed.