[yt-dev] power spectra in yt

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed Apr 16 18:43:54 PDT 2014

Dear yters,

I am interested in using yt to do power spectra for analyzing turbulence in
our simulations.  I quickly coded up a script to do this (warning: I
haven't verified this, so some of the normalization may be wrong, but it
doesn't assume a cubic domain, and it looked ok by eye):

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4528/

The caveat is that we need to put this onto a uniform grid to do the FFT,
but then we can use the numpy FFT routines.

I think that it would be nice to have some sort of power spectrum
functionality built into yt.  One thing that I don't know is what sort of
things do people in other fields look at?  For our work, we look at the
power spectrum of a density-weighted velocity field (rho**1/3 U for
stratified flows gives the expected Kolmogorov scaling).

The other thing is what sort of interface and where should this live in yt?
 Ideally we'd compute some other properties (integral scales, etc.), but it
would be nice to have some discussion about what people use and then we can
start woth some basic functionality.

Mike

--
Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy * Stony Brook University * Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale