[yt-dev] standard for code meta data

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Sun Apr 13 18:11:57 PDT 2014

I'm playing around with the Maestro/BoxLib frontend.  Maestro (and Castro)
plotfiles contain a file called job_info that stores a lot of metadata,
including the values of all runtime parameters and the git hashes
corresponding to which versions of the various codes were used to build the
executable.  Currently we have all of the runtime parameters stored in the
parameters dictionary.  I'd like to add the version control hashes in a
dictionary as well.  I can add them to the same parameters file, but I am
wondering if other codes use a standard place for this.

Ultimately I'd like to save some of this information (especially the code
hashes) in the output files that yt generates: i.e. as png metadata, simple
postscript comments for eps files, or pdf metadata for pdf files.  This
will help complete the link toward reproducibility in that it will preserve
the chain of information from code to output to plot.

Mike

--
Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy * Stony Brook University * Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale