[yt-dev] Defining new particle unions?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 00:27:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> This is how I have used particle filters:
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4509/
>
> I could be wrong, but my understanding is that particle filters had to be
> added directly to an instantiated pf as in my example.  If that is the
> case, then this YTEP is inaccurate and should be altered.

I think you're right.  I was also unable to modify the enzo frontend to
include a star particle ptype based on a filter, but that might have been
due to a mistake on my part.

On a somewhat happier note, I was able to use a particle filter to measure
the star formation rate in my simulation.  The script might be generally
useful for other enzo and yt-3.0 users, so I've pasted a version of it here
using the IsolatedGalaxy dataset: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4514/

For IsolatedGalaxy, this creates the following plot:

[image: Inline image 1]

Pretty cool, I think!

To all those who came up with the particle filter API, bravo!  I seriously
doubt I would have been able to write a concise and understandable script
in older versions of yt.