[yt-dev] Website redesign feedback

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:23:23 PDT 2013

Hi all,

The last week or so, I've been working on a redesign of the website.
I've gotten some really good feedback from Nathan, Britton and a few
others, and I think it's ready to be opened up for more general
comments.

The redesign pull request is here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/website/pull-request/11/draft-redesign-using-twitter-bootstrap/diff

and the redesign itself can be viewed here:

http://yt-project.org/index2.html

There were a couple goals here:

 * Make information much easier to get at
 * Reduce the text and increase the size of the text on the front page
 * Make the website *way* easier for people to edit
 * Make the website *way* less javascript heavy
 * Indicate much more strongly that we're part of the scientific
Python ecosystem
 * Emphasize that yt is analysis-focused with visualization built on
that, rather than the other way around

There are a few visual glitches still (the headings underline when you
mouse over them, and I'm trying to make the text lighter) but I think
it's ready for feedback.  I'd appreciate any comments, either here or
on the pull request.  And, if we decide this is *not* the direction to
go, that's fine too!

Britton and I have gone back and forth on how to fix up the gallery
and integrate the hub and the blog more deeply.  That's a much longer
project, but we see the three all coming together nicely in the
future.  As it stands, the Gallery will likely include a few images
linked to scientific papers, link to a few things on the hub
(notebooks, projects, etc), and is currently handled via version
control.

Britton's working on expanding it, but if you can read this, you
should also add some stuff to it!  Ultimately what I think would work
best would be to solicit contributions directly, solicit contributions
to the hub, and then flag some things for display in the gallery.  It
would be nice to include basically all types of contributions here --
notebooks, scripts, figures, papers -- and I'm coming to really think
the gallery is essential.

Incidentally, this week as Anthony and I have been working on getting
support for PyNE interoperability with yt, I've had occasion to view
their docs and found them to be really nice.  The gallery system they
have is quite nice and very similar to where we're going with the yt
docs and the cookbook, but just a *little* bit further than we've
gone:

http://pynesim.org/
http://pynesim.org/gallery/index.html

If we decide this website is the way to go, I'll spend some time
trying to make our docs play look a bit nicer with it, although likely
not with black background.

Thanks for any feedback,

Matt