[yt-dev] Documentation Sprint

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 07:35:29 PDT 2013

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for such hard work leading this initiative -- and thanks to
everyone else who participated.  Nathan, I love the notebook sphinx
extensions you came up with!

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Cameron Hummels <chummels at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> There is a build of this available for viewing here:
> http://green.as.arizona.edu:8080
>
> ACCOMPLISHED
> --Restructured the doc layout to be more hierarchical, so that now all of
> the docs fall into the following categories: install/, help/, bootcamp/,
> cookbook/, development/, examine/, visualize/, analyze/, and reference/.
> --Restructured the top-level page to reflect this, resulting in a much
> simpler and cleaner starting point.
> --Added support for embedded notebooks, embedded executed scripts, and
> embedded notebook snippets in the docs which get executed and built
> dynamically with the docs.
> --Updated what codes are supported in 2.x (removed support for gadget,
> ramses and art, since these don't work well in 2.x)
> --Updated the installation instructions
> --Moved the bootcamp from its own repository into the docs as the main
> introduction to the code using embedded notebooks.
> --Updated the "How to get help" to be "how to solve problems" with several
> suggestions that one can do on their own before turning to the mailing list.
> --Split the cookbook into Example Scripts and Example Notebooks (longer
> demonstrations of more complex functionality).
> --Updated the "How to Make Plots" and "Plot Modification" parts of the
> visualization docs making extensive use of the new embedded scripts and
> embedded notebook snippets.  Looks great!
> --Added a section on how to make SZ synthetic observations on one's datasets
> using the new embedded notebook
> --Getting rid of the old workshop lessons
> --Removing the bitbucket wiki, since it contained outdated and conflicting
> redundant information from the docs
> --Numerous updates and typo fixes
>
> YET TO BE FINISHED
> (see open documentation issues here:
> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues?component=documentation&status=open&status=new
> )
> --Explain use of CuttingRegion/FieldCuts -- Britton
> --Write up ProfilePlot docs -- Britton
> --Make PhasePlot work in yt and document it -- Matt and Britton
> --Introduce how to use a notebook -- Nathan
> --Update VR docs -- Sam
> --Make a VR notebook with a great example -- Sam
> --Demonstrate how to bring in arbitrary grid datasets into the code -- John
> --Purge, fix, move dangling links in the code from the restructure --
> Cameron
> --Describe how to export to sketchfab -- Matt
> --Add section in developer docs on "How to dig into the source" --Cameron
> --Describe how to get the sample datasets and set up test_dir in config.
> --Document how to do VR with two fields (cookbook)
> --Update docs for command-line arguments
> --Document cosmology units
>
> I think we need to finish these things before the release of 2.6.  I think
> if people continue to work on these issues with the same momentum we've had
> the last couple of days, we'll get this finished in the next week.

Because 2.6 is -- hopefully -- the last *major* yt release in the 2.x
line, I would like to consider the list you have identified above as
"blockers" for a release.  This means delaying past November 1st.  In
particular, the profileplot and phaseplot absolutely need to be
finished, and Britton and I have come up with a plan for finishing
that off.  The reason I say this is that the ProfilePlot and PhasePlot
remove essentially the last vestige of needing a PlotCollection, and
that would be a nice close to the 2.X line of development.

Great work, everyone.

-Matt