[yt-dev] Request comments/vote on use of notebooks in yt docs

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 06:17:04 PDT 2013

Hi all,

After following this discussion, I am kind of in agreement with Brian.  I
think having notebooks would ease our job, but would also make it a bit
harder for people reading the docs to get at little snippets, particularly
if they are broken up with non-commented lines of text.  Perhaps what would
be better would be organizing the cookbooks somewhat nicer, and moving
longer-form items to notebooks.

As long as we're on the topic, I have been working a little bit on docs for
yt-3.0.  I think we may want to consider the following things for the 3.0
docs:

 * Removing the orientation and just providing the bootcamp (which will be
extended), sticking the helpful links in other sections
 * Removing the workshop materials, as the are not 100% relevant anymore
(and indicating what is and is not relevant is tricky)
 * Reworking the field list, although I don't yet know in what way.
 * Moving "loading data" to the top level.  (I have done this already, as I
think it needs to be a lot more prominent.)

-Matt