[yt-dev] Proposed: release dates for 2.6, 2.6.x, and 3.0

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:06:55 PDT 2013

Matt,

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  * 2.6 be released on November 1, 2013, which gives several days after
> the "doc sprint."  I will be working on docs leading up to the doc
> sprint.  The code is in a good state at this point and we can release
> it at any time, but the documentation is the primary blocker for 2.6.
>  * I have added three maintenance releases, every three months, for
> 2.6.1, 2.6.2, 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.  This is because will *not* be
> deprecating the 2.x series.

How will this work inside the repo?  Will be using branches and a single
repository?  Will we accept pull requests into the 2.X codebase or only
accept PRs for 3.X and then backport as appropriate?

>  * 3.0 has been added with a tentative release on January 1, 2014.  I
> have assessed the reliability of the code, and it seems to me that
> *even as it is*, it is considerably better than the 2.x line of
> development.  The remaining struggles are all in documentation.  A
> handful of operations are still outstanding -- clump finding and
> boolean objects most notably -- but the vast, vast majority are
> implemented.

I also think it's important to address these two issues:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/552/cut_region-doesnt-work-in-30
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/499/missing-hierarchy-functions

> I'd like to resolve this by proposing we wind down development on 2.X
> as best we can, and instead attempt to focus resources on 3.0.  Until
> we do that, the biggest fish of the refactor/redesign simply can't
> land, which means we're in a self-perpetuating cycle of never getting
> to the point of being "ready."

Agreed!  I'm excited for everything to move over the 3.0 - it will be a
relief
to make changes without having to worry about future merge conflicts.