[yt-dev] 2.6 release?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:53:13 PST 2013

Hi Nathan,

Well, so, I have to take the fall for this one.  Last week, there was
some discussion about what needed to happen for a release, and I
misunderstood everything, evidently!  I thought that the main issue
was the profile/phase plot code and the remaining doc tickets.  So
this weekend, Britton issued the updated PR (which addressed the
comments you brought up in your original comments on the PR) and was
doing some docs updates.

This morning, I took a look at what was going on, and wrote to Cameron
asking him to decide which bugs for the docs were blockers and which
were not, and if we could try to aim for having everything in a
workable state by Friday, so the release could go out.  (Only a few
weeks overdue -- and most of those weeks were due to *me* dragging my
heels!)

My main concern here is: people are putting out job apps, and some of
those job apps reference code that's in the yt 2.6 code base.  I think
a good way to "do right by contributors" is to make sure that,
especially in a vulnerable time in a career, the project tries to
support them in whatever way it can.  I've done a poor job of
implementing that, as releases have languished and gone on, and I was
just trying to right the ship, as it were.  Ultimately, though, I do
think we should not release something we're not really happy with,
although I'd like to try to avoid having perfect be the enemy of good
enough.  Maybe a good compromise would be to figure out what is still
necessary, come up with a reasonable timescale, and discuss it openly.
 I screwed that up, and I'm sorry.

Anyway, I know there's been a lot of talk about 2.6 being the last
major 2.X release.  Maybe that's put some pressure on this release
that's not warranted, and I will take the blame for that, too.  I
anticipate we'll be fixing little things, tweaking docs, and on and
on, for some time to come.  Just because I would like to encourage
people to try out 3.0 doesn't mean everybody has to stop using what
works.  I expect much of our existing userbase won't change for a
while.

-Matt