[yt-dev] RAMSES Todo List

Sam Geen samgeen at astro.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 09:23:32 PST 2013

Hi,

I intend to try to fiddle with the RAMSES frontend when I have
time/need, and thought it would be good to collate a list of tasks that
need to be completed so we have a consensus on what needs to be fixed.
Feel free to suggest things or tell me that they're already implemented
if I missed them:

1) Add support for RT and ATON files, which are now part of the default
RAMSES (I assume from the code that the cooling and grav files are
already read)
2) Via 1), it might be nice to refactor the RAMSESDomainFile class a bit
to provide a more generic Ramses file reading routine/class, since the
formats of the files are fairly similar and in doing 1) we might get
some copy-paste bloat.
3) Allow for RAMSES runs that only contain AMR & particles (i.e. pure
N-body runs with no hydro)
4) Refactor the inputs to fit YT default field names (for MHD, RT and ATON).
5) Allow YT to interpret non-cosmological simulations in RAMSES, or if
it already does, remove the warning that says this.
6) Romain Teyssier suggested allowing users to specify their own default
field names for user-modified versions of RAMSES. I don't know if YT
caches data that would allow this, but I thought I'd punt the suggestion
along. Another option could be to allow users to expose the RAMSES
namelist files to YT (i.e. the parameter files for starting up a run) -
these contain a lot more information on the physics included, etc. I'd
put this on a low priority unless someone thinks of something clever
that solves this cleanly.
7) It could be worthwhile to implement read-on-demand if it's not
already - sometimes the users won't query the ATON/RT/hydro/particle
file or certain fluid fields in each file and so we wouldn't need to
read those files in that case. This could be folded into 2).

Cheers,

Sam