[yt-dev] proposal to merge yt-3.0 development into main repo

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 26 04:29:54 PST 2013

Hi,

As someone that just moved to the yt-3.0 repo (and not having much time
for dev anymore...), I think this is a good idea.  Having it separate
was a barrier for me because 2.x worked for most of my analysis, and I
just kept on using 2.x because of convenience.  However, if the latest
changes were in the main repo, then users could easily switch to the 3.0
branch and test things out.

+1

Cheers,
John

On 11/26/2013 07:20 AM, Britton Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that we have pushed out the last (or nearly the last) major release
> of yt-2.x, many are now joining the effort to work on yt-3.0.  As you
> may have noticed, there is a yt-3.0 branch in the main yt repo hosted at
> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt.  However, most of the actual
> development has been happening in a separate yt-3.0 repo
> (https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt-3.0).
>
> I think it may now be time to consider moving yt-3.0 development over to
> the main repository.  I think this will lower the barrier of entry for a
> number of people and should not be a big problem to users of 2.x now
> that that version has mostly stabilized.
>
> As for logistics, a number of people have done work in forks of the
> yt-3.0, so we should not remove it entirely.  Instead, I propose making
> it read-only, and having people push their changes to a fork of the main
> yt repo and working off of that from now on.  The magic of mercurial
> should make this relatively painless.
>
> Thoughts?  +/-1?
>
> Britton

John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
http://cosmo.gatech.edu