[yt-dev] Asking questions on StackOverflow

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 23:01:18 PST 2013

Hi all,

I recently subscribed to the [yt] tag on StackExchange.  Now, whenever a question is asked using this tag on any StackExchange site, I will get an e-mail about it, just like if a question is asked on the users or dev list.  Currently (as far as I can tell) zero questions have been asked using this tag...

If there are a few others who are interested in subscribing to the tag, I think it might be worthwhile to add StackOverflow to the website and docs where we describe how to get help and also announce on the user’s list that StackOverflow is an alternate place to ask questions.

While this might split the community somewhat - not everyone will be subscribed to StackOverflow and thus might miss useful info - I think moving some helpful suggestions to StackOverflow will massively improve googleability of common yt issues, allowing us to avoid answering the same questions over and over again.

It might also be worthwhile to ask and answer some common yt questions.  Off the top of my head, I think we could at least answer how to load various types of datasets into yt.

-Nathan