[yt-dev] (HaloProfiler) Best way to handle Dark_Matter_Density?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:26:28 PDT 2013

Hi all,

This came up after a discussion on #yt; I've CC'd the person who
brought this up.

In the halo profiler, there's a list of standard fields.  In this we
have Dark_Matter_Density, which to my understanding is an
Enzo-specific field.  It's not the same as the CIC_Deposit3 (defined
in yt) field that does a similar thing, but it's very similar.  I am
wondering what the best way to handle this, particularly since any
frontend that wants to use the HaloProfiler will need this field
unless standard_fields is amended not to include it.

Should we:

 * Define a Dark_Matter_Density for each frontend?
 * Define a universal field that defines Dark_Matter_Density globally?
 * Change the field we examine from Dark_Matter_Density to a different
field that is defined by yt, not assumed to be in the output file?
 * Should we check if every standard_field is in the output
(pf.h.derived_field_list) before adding it?

Britton, I think you might have the best idea of how to fix this, but
Sam Leitner I know has been working on using Halo Profiler on other
datasets.

Thanks,

Matt

PS Please hit "reply all" so that Meghann, who reported this in #yt,
sees the response.