[yt-dev] Kill logging in the notebook?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 15:49:53 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a quick request for feedback about a change to the way yt.imods works.

I'm of the opinion that the logging, while useful and nice when calling yt from a script or an IPython prompt, makes for a bad UI experience from inside the notebook.  The logs are sent to stderr, so they show up in the notebook output in a scary looking red box.  Worse, vertical space is at a premium on the widescreen displays that most of us use, and the logging output tends to push the results we actually want to see off the bottom of the display.

Fortunately there is an easy fix for this: disable stream logging when running yt from the notebook.  I think this is doable with a one or two line change to yt.imods.

I'm curious if other people agree with me on this - +/- 1?

-Nathan