[yt-dev] yt-3.0 derived fields

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 05:07:48 PDT 2013

Hi Doug,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Douglas Harvey Rudd <drudd at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Okay, I had noticed this thread but hadn't fully digested that I had hit the very same issue.
>
> I'm +1 on Chris' change, for the exact same reason (ParticleMassMsun for star particle types).

Awesome.

> Matt: I didn't quite follow your message.  I would assume most derived fields should be neutral
> to the type of particle, since they're typically unit conversions.  Having two particle types with the
> same field name that are not compatible should be forbidden, otherwise ("all", ) would be nonsensical.

Good point.

> Why is discriminating particles and fluids desirable here?  By the particle_ naming convention
> for particle fields there shouldn't be any overlap.  I feel that I must have missed something.

There has been some talk of moving away from that.  (It is an
Enzo-ism.)  Although, looks like in Casey's YTEP for field names, we
retain them:

https://ytep.readthedocs.org/en/latest/YTEPs/YTEP-0003.html

The only issue I was thinking of was that there may be a time when we
want to do "mass" that applies to both.

That being said, as long as we keep "all" as the main name, there's no
issue.  So let's mark my concern as unwarranted.

> In a similar vein, I've changed our GeometryHandler._detect_fields function to generate all valid
> (particle_type, field) pairs, so that ("nbody","creation_time") is not a valid field, for example, while
> ("all","particle_mass"), ("nbody","particle_mass"), and ("stars","particle_mass") are all valid.  This
> has broken the known field support, however, since we currently only add naked field types,
> without particle types.  It would be a pain to need to add all valid pairs in fields.py as well.

I agree.  I think your solution is right, they should be detected
correctly in that routine.  I'll work on getting the field system
Chris proposed working, which should be a first step toward fixing the
valid pairs issue.

-Matt