[yt-dev] summing over phase plot and total quantity discrepancies

Geoffrey So gsiisg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:38:24 PST 2013

I'm trying to use add_phase_object to get a 2D distribution and summing
over the y axis to see the total quantity in each x bins.  I am using the
old plot collection to do the phase distribution because it is
parallelized, the binned2D is serial I believe.

I'm checking the numbers by using TotalQuantity which sums all the cells in
the simulation, and I should get the same number when I sum over the color
axis of the phase plot (I'm assuming this is true, can someone also verify
the logic?), but I am getting slightly different number.  More curious, is
when the y axis is the same as the color axis, I get different numbers as
when the axis names are different.  I first saw the discrepancy using other
fields, but in this script I am demonstrating with fields that everyone
should have access to in an Enzo simulation.

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/3222/

Can someone run the script very quick and verify that they get different
numbers printed on screen?

Is there an easier way to do what I'm trying to do in parallel?

From
G.S.

PS: This issue is in both dev-yt I have on my laptop and on Gordon

my laptop uses:
changeset:   6566:6794b2798b5a
branch:      yt
tag:         tip
user:        Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
date:        Wed Oct 24 15:58:34 2012 -0400
summary:     Swap out get_smallest_dx for 8192.  Should fix the buildbot.
Gordon I have:
changeset:   7124:4151cc9ff9b2
branch:      yt
tag:         tip
user:        Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius.kk at gmail.com>
date:        Sat Feb 02 11:03:07 2013 +0100
files:       yt/utilities/logger.py
Add `NullHandler` to `ytLogger` when stream logging is suppresed. Fixes #492