[yt-dev] Please don't delete your repositories

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:29:47 PST 2013

And in general it's ok to have multiple heads on a repository.  If you use a couple tricks, it's easy to avoid deleting a repository just because you sprouted an extra head.

One tool I use to deal with extra heads is to always push or pull with respect to a specific revision.  For example, if I only want to push the changesets that contributed to the revision I'm currently updated to, I would do:

hg push -r .

If I only wanted the changesets that contribute to the tip of Matt's bitbucket repository (e89da84), I would do:

hg pull -r e89da84 https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt

This avoids having to no-op merge with heads that you didn't mean to create with the bonus that it forces you to specify what you really mean whenever you do an operation that might publicly publish a change.

-Nathan