[yt-dev] New software installer from STScI

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 18:50:59 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to bring everyone's attention to ureka (http://ssb.stsci.edu/ureka/)
a new binary distribution centered around python, IRAF, and commonly used
astronomical image viewing and visualization software (e.g. DS9).  They
include a large number of python modules, in fact most of yt's source
dependencies:

http://ssb.stsci.edu/ureka/1.0beta5/docs/python_modules.html#sec-python-modules

All this software is available for OS X and linux and because it's a binary
download it should run significantly quicker than yt's install script.

I'll admit that I haven't tried installing it yet but it might be
worthwhile to experiment a bit.  If it's a good fit, we could add
instructions to the website or the docs or even try to get them to include
yt out of the box.

-Nathan