[yt-dev] Fwd: [IPython-dev] interactive widgets

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:18:06 PDT 2013

Hi all,

The IPython devs have been sketching out the protocol for their
javascript widgets.  They've also been setting a good timetable for
when external devs can start working on it.  Since this is -- in my
opinion -- one of the most promising directions for Reason and other
yt GUIs/explorers, it's definitely interesting to see it take shape.
(Frankly, I think it's the most promising direction for *all*
scientific python data exploration, but maybe that's just me ...)

The message spec Matthias links to does a pretty interesting job of
laying out how Python would communicate with the GUI and how it would
look to the slightly-higher-level infrastructure developer.
Definitely something to keep an eye on, and also seems like porting
existing Reason code (which is very similar in feel, although not as
well thought-out or implemented) would be possible.

-Matt