[yt-dev] pmods

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Fri Jan 11 16:02:07 PST 2013

Hi Matt,

> My guess is that something is messing up inside the h5t module.  By
> importing h5py before yt, you avoid the importing of
> hdf5_light_reader.so (and thus the loading of hdf5).  I'd check
> importing that module individually.  The way that HDF5 retains error
> state means that sometimes errors crop up in funny ways, and I think
> in hdf5_light_reader we do very little checking of that before files
> get opened and passed around; you may be able to manually pop the
> error stack in there.

Thank you for your thoughts. I've done some digging and I'm not sure
hdf5_light_reader.so has anything to do with this. In yt/pmods.py, if
I do

with mpi_import():
    import h5py

I still get basically the same error I pasted before. However, nothing
yt-specific should be touched, right? Right now I suspect that there's
some issue with how h5py is importing modules and how mpi_import()
handles stuff... I'll keep digging.

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us