[yt-dev] from yt.funcs import *

Nathan Goldbaum goldbaum at ucolick.org
Fri Jan 25 12:30:36 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm doing some work implementing YTEP-6 and have noticed a pattern that happens many times in the code.  Specifically, many of the files in the yt source tree import everything in yt.funcs at the top.  I can see why this would be helpful when writing routines, but I'd argue that this just makes it harder to understand where things are defined.

I've pasted a list of all occurrences in the 2.X branch here: https://gist.github.com/4637442

I'm writing the list to check whether yt.funcs is imported this way for a non-obvious reason.  If not, I'll file a bug about this so we can try to come back and make the imports explicit.

Cheers,

Nathan Goldbaum
Graduate Student
Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC