[yt-dev] kwargs for SlicePlot and ProjectionPlot?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:04:48 PST 2013

Hi Andrew,

Rather than adding **kwargs to the signature of __init__ for PWViewMPL,
I think it would be better to add a field_parameters keyword argument.
This would be a dict that would be iterated over to set field
parameters.  This is actually exactly how **kwargs is handled in the
AMRData base class but I think mandating that the dict is referred to as
field_parameters internally is a bit clearer with the added benefit that
the API is concrete and doesn't rely on a somewhat advanced python
concept.  I'm not a big fan of how the data containers currently handle
the kwargs dict and am -1 on exposing **kwargs in a user-facing function.

That being said, I haven't thought about this issue as deeply as others
on the project have, and there may be very good reasons for using
**kwargs in this context.

Cheers,

Nathan