[yt-dev] memory usage with --parallel and periodic radius

Nathan Goldbaum goldbaum at ucolick.org
Wed Feb 27 21:00:19 PST 2013

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with my changes.  Just to justify myself
a little bit: the old way of generating the radius field silently produced
incorrect results on non-periodic datasets.  yt is increasingly being used
to examine these datasets and I wanted to make sure that the results of a
simple radial profile analysis would be correct.

That being said, the memory consumption is clearly not as good now.  When I
wrote the new code to handle the radius fields, I didn't realize that the
Radius field was so intimately tied to halo finding.

A quick fix to allow you to continue doing your analyses would be to
replace the Radius field with the old definition.  This can be done without
committing any changes to the yt codebase by using the my_plugins.py file.
 Just create a file called my_plugins.py, place it in the .yt folder that
lives in your home directory, and enter the old Radius and ParticleRadius
field definitions inside of it.  I've pasted an example my_plugins.py file
that does this here: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/3212/

Fields defined in my_plugins.py will override definitions in
universal_fields.py, so if the new field definitions are the primary cause
of the increased memory consumption you're seeing, this should fix it.

This isn't a very good long term solution and I'd like to work with you and
others who deal with large datasets to find a permanent solution.  A good
first step would be to file an issue about this.  I don't have a lot of
experience working with large datasets so any help figuring out how to
reduce the memory needs of the Radius field would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nathan