[yt-dev] 3.0 Documentation

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 07:37:41 PST 2013

Sounds good, but I guess I don't understand why the 3.0 docs aren't yet
buildable.  I can build them locally.  The only thing that prevented me
from doing this is that I had to pip install the new bootstrap theme in
order for them to not fail.  Is this what you mean, Kacper?

I understand not wanting to have out of date docs available to the user
base, but i'd love to get something up so people can document new changes
to the code as they make them.  Let me know if you need help on this, Matt.

Cameron

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>
> Thanks for taking this on!  I think that we should definitely push up
> some 3.0 docs (which it sounds like Kacper is working on) but I'm not
> sure that we should link them *until* they are mostly up to date.
> Fortunately the cookbook process and the IPython Notebook process
> won't pass until they are, so that's good.
>
> Once the AGORA telecon is over today I should be able to spend some
> time hitting the easy changes to the docs that should bring them
> mostly up to speed.  One thing we'll need to do with 3.0 that we
> haven't in the past is emphasize much more strongly the developer
> aspects, as some areas of the code -- while cleaner -- are different
> in some key ways.
>
> -MAtt
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Cameron Hummels <chummels at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Now that the bulk of the development is moving over to the yt-3.0
> branch, I
> > propose we have the yt-3.0 docs available on the website.  Right now, a
> > yt-3.0 branch exists in the yt-doc repository, but there are very minor
> > changes in it relative to the yt 2.x documentation.  Unfortunately,
> there is
> > no public way to view these documentations aside from downloading the
> > repository and building locally.  I think by putting the 3.0 docs on the
> > webpage, it will make it more likely that people contribute docs when
> they
> > contribute new code changes, whereas if we wait too long, the codebase
> may
> > get considerably out of sync with the docs.
> >
> > I think this will only require a slight change to the buildbot targets by
> > Kacper.  What do people think?
> >
> > Cameron
> >

> > --
> > Cameron Hummels