[yt-dev] RAMSES Todo List

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:28:50 PST 2013

Hi Sam,

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Sam Geen <samgeen at astro.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I believe it's absolute metallicity (i.e. 0.02 = fiducial solar, 0.0 =
> primordial). If you're paranoid, you could check with Romain; I'll open up
> some outputs in the morning and confirm this.
>
> BTW, I didn't get a chance to hunt down the pressure/temperature units
> problem today, but if you take a look then be aware that temperature in
> Ramses is returned (in the version I have, anyway) as T/mu, i.e. you need to
> multiply by the mean gas particle mass to get temperature in Kelvin.
> Normally for a given hydrogen mass fraction this is just X + 4*Y + (?) Z (I
> think! it's late here, so worth checking...), but for radiative transfer
> runs you need to be a bit careful since you also have electrons - we can
> look at this when the RT module output format is implemented, though.

Ah, thank you.  That makes sense, and I'll apply these conversions for
metallicity.

For pressure, currently what we are doing is:

def _Temperature(field, data):
    rv = data["Pressure"]/data["Density"]
    rv *= mass_hydrogen_cgs/boltzmann_constant_cgs
    return rv
add_field("Temperature", function=_Temperature, units=r"\rm{K}")

So it looks like that will need to be updated.  I think this was set
up on-demand from someone, and they compared it against their previous
results, so I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes in.

-Matt

> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>

> On 02/12/13 22:02, Matthew Turk wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> What're the metallicity units for RAMSES?  Nathan and I are updating
>> for the yt-3.0 unit refactor and we're trying to get the RAMSES
>> conversion done today.
>>
>> -Matt
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Sam Geen <samgeen at astro.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I intend to try to fiddle with the RAMSES frontend when I have time/need,
>>> and thought it would be good to collate a list of tasks that need to be
>>> completed so we have a consensus on what needs to be fixed. Feel free to
>>> suggest things or tell me that they're already implemented if I missed
>>> them:
>>>
>>> 1) Add support for RT and ATON files, which are now part of the default
>>> RAMSES (I assume from the code that the cooling and grav files are
>>> already
>>> read)
>>> 2) Via 1), it might be nice to refactor the RAMSESDomainFile class a bit
>>> provide a more generic Ramses file reading routine/class, since the
>>> formats
>>> of the files are fairly similar and in doing 1) we might get some
>>> copy-paste
>>> bloat.
>>> 3) Allow for RAMSES runs that only contain AMR & particles (i.e. pure