[yt-dev] Update on Windows

John Zuhone jzuhone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 15:45:35 PST 2013

Hi all,

Good news on the Windows/yt front. I'm happy to announce that as of
right now only one unit test is failing. The failure is subtle, but I
thought I would run it by you all to see what we should do about it.

The failure in question is a comparison test in
yt/utilities/tests/test_units.py, in "test_power":

    assert u2.cgs_value == (pc_cgs**2 * mK_cgs**4)**2

basically, the unit cgs_value is exactly the combination of these
factors, so even though they are floats, one would expect that the
equality should hold, and on our other platforms it does. However, on
Windows, the comparison is failing on the last digit, with a relative
difference of ~4e-16 between the two values. So, while I'm not
inclined to be very concerned about it, I'm curious to see what you
guys think about how it should be handled.

Happy New Year!

John Z

--
John ZuHone