[yt-dev] Units in yt and astropy

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 10:25:52 PST 2013

Hello all,

I think this may be my first post on this list - I'm Erik Tollerud,
one of the members of the Astropy coordinating committee.

Today I learned there are plans afoot to do some refactoring of the yt
units system.  I was wondering if any of you here have spent much time
looking at the Astropy units
framework (https://astropy.readthedocs.org/en/stable/units/index.html)?

I couldn't find much in a quick glance over yt's docs about how the
unit system actually works, but I'm sure there's a lot of overlap
there.  So I can't help but think that we should at least try to get
some sort of interoperability in place.   Of course, you're welcome to
directly use any part of  Astropy's unit or Quantity frameworks that
right now suit your needs. But given that one of Astropy's main goals
is to improve compatibility and interoperability in python astronomy,
tools, we are happy to do some leg work on our end if it will help
you.

--
Erik T