[yt-dev] When can we turn off serialization by default?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 08:05:22 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
> Just to play devil's advocate here, what would it take to "fix"
> serialization? Adding a checksum so that data changes can be detected?
> More than that?

That would partly fix the issue of fields/hierarchy changes not being
detected (unless you manually mess with the data).  But it wouldn't
fix the deeper problem, which is that a) we scatter files willy nilly
about the directory, which I am coming to feel is a really gross
violation of expectations, and b) the process of auto-serialization
doesn't save a huge amount of time in most cases.  JohnW and I
spitballed last fall about some of the biggest hierarchies he's dealt
with in Enzo and I promised to write a Cython parser, which I never
succeeded at.