[yt-dev] reorganizing YTEPs

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 07:06:01 PDT 2013

Hi all,

One of the things that came out of the yt strategy meeting last week was a
discussion of reorganizing how the YTEPs are listed.  Currently, it looks
like this:
http://ytep.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

There are essentially two problems with this.  First, once a YTEP is
accepted, it is difficult to tell the status of the actual enhancement that
was proposed.  Is it being implemented?  Is it done?  Second, because we
are doing revisions in PRs, there is no listing of unaccepted YTEPs.

For comparison, here is the enhancement proposal index for python:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/

They have categories for types (standards, information, and process) and
status (accepted, rejected, withdrawn, draft, etc.).  This may be slightly
overkill for us since we are only on YTEP 14 and they have hundreds.  I
still think some organization would be helpful.  I will have a go at that
and issue a PR.

The question I have for people is with regard to process.  In order to have
statuses for the unaccepted proposals, they have to exist in some fashion
in the main repo.  How do we want to do that?  Or do we want to do that?
One way would be to issue a PR that would include adding it to the index as
Draft status and have it be accepted quickly.  People can still leave
comments on a merged PR and the author can then issue a new one which moves
the listing to the accepted status.

I'd really like to hear people's thoughts about this.  Even if we don't
adopt the above strategy, I'd still like to organize the accepted YTEPs as
implemented and not implemented so people can get a better idea of where
they might get involved.

Britton