[yt-dev] Fwd: [yt_analysis/yt] annotate_image (issue #430)

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:30:11 PDT 2012

Hi all,

So one of the main reasons why this is so messy, IMO, is that we don't have
a self-describing image.  All we have is a numpy array.  Would it
worthwhile to do something like create an ImageArray, which subclasses
numpy ndarray?

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.subclassing.html#simple-example-adding-an-extra-attribute-to-ndarray

We could then append on things like x-axis, y-axis, optionally things like
field names, and who knows what else?  For example:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/hub.yt-project.org/notebooks/2225815c19a844c9974838543f09e267.ipynb

This would significantly help manage the rendering output since we lose
info about the image as soon as we lose the camera.  We could additionally
write a thin layer to save these images out in hdf5, looping over the info
dictionary for attributes.

Thoughts?

Sam