[yt-dev] Testing Intervention

Casey W. Stark caseywstark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:20:22 PDT 2012

Hi Anthony.

I completely agree that we should target the level of functions actually
performing the projection rather than yt's organization. The mock frontend
suggestion was just a hack to get there. I don't know if there's a way
around it though...

Here's an example of what I sorted through to get to projections:
- Load a test plotfile, check pf.h.proj to find it's source.
- Read through data_objects/hierarchy.py and
utilities/parallel_tools/parallel_analysis_interface.py to find where proj
is attached, can't find it.
- The proj docstring says it is a reference to AMRQuadProj. Can't find a
class by that name.
- Search data_objects sources for "proj", find AMRProjBase.

So it looks like the functionality is wrapped up in the __project_level and
_project_grid methods. I can't think of a way to test those without
creating an AMRProjBase, and that requires a staticoutput object.

So unfortunately, I think it would still come down to having a fake
frontend. It's not ideal, but it seems like any more isolation would
require big rewrites to yt.

Of course, I could be missing something. Matt, can you think of a better
way?

- Casey