[yt-dev] Testing Infrastructure: Datasets for ART, Orion, FLASH, etc ...

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:41:38 PDT 2012

Hi Nathan et al,

We just got approved for a FLOSS license on Shining Panda.  As it
currently stands, we can't mount EBS volumes, so answer testing will
not be a part of this initiative as of right now.  Kacper's suggested
we explore other options for answer testing, and I think he's right --
particularly because we may end up using a lot of memory and putting
strain on an individual node, and that's probably bad karma.  So I
think we should keep the two somewhat separately tested for now, and
continue creating unit tests that test either randomly created
in-memory data or isolated functionality.

I can add users and administrators to the SP account:

https://www.shiningpanda-ci.com/docs/dashboard/multiusers.html

We also can identify different repos that get pulled from to test.  I
think we definitely want to test the main yt repository and the main
yt-3.0 repository (once it has tests finalized.)  We can also add a
few "semi-trusted" repositories -- for instance, Sam does a lot of
development in his fork, so he may want to have it added to the
buildbots.  I do a lot, so I may also want mine added.

If you have a "user" role you can make it test any time you want.

If you have an administrator role you can do the same but also add new
repos to test.

Would anyone like to be added as a "user"?  I think this would also
need to coincide with having your personal repository added as a
testing location.  For administrator, I think we should restrict to
people who have been really involved in the pull request and code
mentoring process.

Kacper and I are going to hash out some answer testing stuff in IRC
before coming back to the list with any ideas.  But clearly we need to
ensure we cover both answer testing AND unit testing in the
infrastructure we develop.

-Matt