[yt-dev] OSX without Apple Developer Account

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:09:51 PDT 2012

Hi All,

This discussion came about because I am working with three high school
students here at AMNH this year. I want them to use yt, and the
program that they are in has a series of shared Mac laptops. This
program, like many educational programs, does not have a large budget,
and thus these machines are a number of years old. They run 10.6.8,
and I needed to install XCode. Unfortunately, I could not have the
students do this themselves, because in order to download XCode (so
far as I could find) for older OSs, you must have an Apple Developer
account, which requires that you are over 18. Thus I had to register
myself and download it for them. This is not a severe hardship by any
means, but it does seem to be contrary to the principles I would like
to instil in budding scientists/coders.

Thanks for all your answers!