[yt-dev] Issue tracking with JIRA?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 11:27:45 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,

> But, this would require a lot of buy-in on the part of the big
> contributors -- as well as on the part of smaller contributors.  I see
> it as being a possible venue for either tracking everything (which
> might cause problems since we're finally getting bugs reported) or
> just tracking enhancements to the code base and longer term things.
> For instance, we could still include bugs in the Issue Tracker but
> then move things like "fast neighbor query for particles" to JIRA.

Hmm, so I guess this will be a bit more of a pain that I had hoped - JIRA does not currently link with the issue tracker on bitbucket.  Instead, we would have to move the issues over to JIRA 'by hand'.  There are importers for other issue tracking systems, but right now not for the bitbucket issue tracker.  Worse yet, there's no way to export bitbucket issues to the CSV format that JIRA can read.  I guess that's a further limitation of the bitbucket issue tracker, but it makes our lives more difficult if we want to switch over.

In light of this limitation I agree with Matt that we should keep the bug reports and tracking on the bitbucket side until Atlassian improves integration between bitbucket and JIRA.

On the other hand, JIRA would be perfect for planning, tracking, and presenting progress on long and medium-term development goals, something that we're currently using bitbucket for, although I would argue that there isn't much buy-in and bitbucket not terribly useful for this purpose.

Personally, I'm +1 on using JIRA to manage our project roadmap.  I'd curious how other developers feel about this, particularly if you think it will just be another thing that will get in the way of making progress.

Cheers,

Nathan