[yt-dev] Question: file format recognition for GAMER

Hsi-Yu Schive hyschive at ntu.edu.tw
Mon Oct 29 01:00:32 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I have two simple questions about adding support of GAMER in yt.

1. How does YT distinguish between data generated from different codes?
For example, if I want to do something like

   pf = load( "GAMER_Data0000" )

to load the GAMER data, how to make YT realize that it is GAMER output instead of, for example, Enzo or FLASH data?
What kind of information I should provide in the "frontends/gamer/XXX.py" scripts and the GAMER output file "GAMER_Data0000"
in order to achieve that?

2. After I implement all routines in the "frontends/gamer/XXX/py" scripts, how to recompile YT so that I could test
whether the GAMER data can be loaded and analyzed successfully? From the information on the "How to Develop yt" website,
it seems that I should try:

   cd $YT_DEST/src/yt-hg/
   python setup.py develop

I was wondering whether that's exactly what I should do to test the new scripts?
Thanks in advance for any help : )

Sincerely,
Hsi-Yu