[yt-dev] Swapping out a data_source in a Plot Window

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 16:19:46 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,

Looking at the code it looks like we don't query the data source for anything at initialization besides the location of the maximum density point if the user doesn't provide a center for the plot.

All the relevant metadata is actually obtained from the data_source attached to the frb object.  The frb is regenerated every time a function wrapped with the invalidate_data decorator is called so I don't think you'll run into issues if you start swapping out data_sources.

TimeSeriesPlotWindow sounds like a great idea.  As you're probably aware, that's just a hop skip and a jump away from having something like:

TimeSeriesPlotWindow.write_movie('awesome_movie.mp4').

Happy hacking :)

Cheers,

Nathan