[yt-dev] pip install yt

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:04:28 PDT 2012

Hi all,

One of the stated goals of 2.5 is to have a pip-installable yt.  I
think we need to have a couple things fixed for this to work:

1) Fix setup.py to include correct dependencies
2) Make it clearer in the error messages in yt/utilities/setup.py that
HDF5_DIR needs to be set if it can't find HDF5 (and to de-emphasize
hdf5.cfg)
3) Same for the PNG and FreeType packages

I think that may be everything; I checked it just now and it actually
does work if you have the dependencies and you do:

pip install hg+https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/

Does anyone (Casey?  Jeff?  Mike?) want to take this on?  I've filled
out a bug here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/441/make-yt-pip-installable