[yt-dev] IPython changes

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:44:01 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that at some point some of the things I used to rely on in IPython went missing from the standard install that yt does (at least for me):
>
> 1) "help blah" does not work, must now type "help(blah)"
>
> Not really a big deal, just annoying.

We've made 'autocall' off by default now, simply because it triggers
enough potentially problematic side-effects that we've moved towards
erring more on the side of safety than that of convenience.

You can get back the old behavior once per session by toggling it with
a call to `%autocall`, or you can set it permanently to true if you
like it by putting in your IPython default config file this statement:

c.InteractiveShell.autocall = True

> 2) "source blah" does not work at all
>
> Anyone know what this is part of?

We've never had a 'source' command, but we do have '%psource'.  Is
that perhaps what  you  had in mind?

Cheers,