[yt-dev] Best place for planning documentation?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:12:55 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
>> Confluence is the slickest, and the Wiki in the past has gone out of
>> date relatively quickly.  Any strong feelings on which I should start
>> using as a dumping ground for information about 3.0 vs 2.x?
>
> I hate to inflict pain, but I really think that sphinx/yt-doc is the
> way to go. I think having diverging documentation trees is going to
> cause more pain in the long run. Is there no way to automate the
> (re)building of the sphinx docs (not the default public ones, of
> course)?

The problem with rebuilding the sphinx documentation is that since it
relies on introspection of a running yt session to do the automodule /
autofunction documentation, we can't use solutions like ReadTheDocs.
In principle, we could use ShiningPanda, but since it takes ten to
fifteen minutes to build yt-doc, this could run out of credits
quickly.  If you wanted to take on the project of migrating our entire
hosting system to Amazon S3, we could probably make it work.  As it
stands, the only non-dynamic content yt has is the pastebin.  That
would have to stay at dreamhost for now, but we could move the main
page, the docs, and so on, over to S3.

So I think yes, it could be done, but I'm not willing to do it; I'm
more than happy to turn this over to someone else, though.  And it's
not clear to me that it would meet the need of an evolving design
specification where multiple contributors commented; it would only
meet the need of a single designer, which I don't think is necessarily
the right solution.