[yt-dev] rockstar inline with enzo

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:17:17 PST 2012

Hi Stephen,

Yes -- my recollection is actually that when running rockstar inline,
we have three models.  One is a sidecar set of processes which are
resident either in the same MPI_COMM_WORLD but a different Enzo / yt
top communicator.  Another would be a second set of processes launched
on a different set of jobs (one advantage of the non-MPI communication
used in Rockstar.)  I think the best one though would be to have
Rockstar's readers and writers operate on the same nodes, in the same
MPI process space.  This will require giving up the GIL on the writer
jobs and allowing them to wait, then reclaiming it once the readers
have done their business.

If you watch Peter's talk at HIPACC, he goes into some discussion of
how that final mode operates, andi t's actually the one he recommends.
 Or so I recall.

-Matt