[yt-dev] Projections of 1D and 2D AMR data

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:23:14 PST 2012

Hi all,

This discussion is based on the work we're doing for the enzo testing
suite.  As part of this, we're doing a number of 1D and 2D enzo
simulations.  Unfortunately, we're getting some strange results which
makes me curious whether it actually makes any sense to project 1D and
2D AMR data in yt.  This is motivated by inspection of my data:

In [58]: pf.dimensionality
Out[58]: 1

In [59]: prj = pf.h.proj(0,'Density',weight_field='Density')
yt : [INFO     ] 2012-11-29 15:17:55,860 Projection completed

In [60]: prj['Density']
Out[60]:
array([ 1.        ,  1.        ,  1.        ,  1.        , 1.        ,
         1.        ,  1.        ,  1.        ,  1.        , 2.24475454,
         2.54903927,  2.54903927,  2.54903927])

Formally the simulation has no extent along y or z, yet the projection
I'm getting back isn't a scalar.

For reference, this is the Toro-3-ShockTubeAMR test that comes with enzo.

I guess the real question I have is what is the best tool inside yt to
quantitatively inspect and compare 1D and 2D datasets?  Am I making a
mistake in the way the test simulation is set up, causing yt to
misinterpret it somehow?

Thanks very much for your help with this.

Cheers,

Nathan