[yt-dev] YTEP: IO Chunking in 3.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:40:09 PST 2012

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> in the text, you stress that "Additionally, any code that relies on
> access of the _grids attribute on data objects will be broken." Just
> to be clear, this is only for data objects - the grids will still hang
> off the hierarchy?

Yes, although I have been thinking about rewriting them to be in
Cython, building on the code John ZuHone recently wrote.  This would
mean the grids would be faster, and with pure-C attributes for things
like left/right edges, we could do point location and geometry
selection much faster.  As it is, the selection still does everything
the dumb way: iterating over every left/right edge and looking for
collisions.  Anything like that would be a YTEP of its own, and would
also minimize or avoid completely backwards incompatible changes.