[yt-dev] 2.5 release

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:39:35 PST 2012

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for starting this discussion!

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A lot of really great work has already or is just about to be been merged
> into yt since we did our last release in August.  Just a few examples:
>
> Unit Tests and improved answer tests with continuous integration
> Rockstar
> Numerous PlotWindow fixes and improvements
> Improved Athena support
> spherical and cylindrical coordinates and vector coordinate transformations
> Particle support for FLASH data
> Limited support for generating GDF initial conditions
> Improved support for 2D FLASH data.
> PlotWindow TimeSeries interface
> Numerous bug fixes

Wow, that *is* a lot.  One thing I am struggling with is that many of
these things aren't done -- but "done" is such a fickle concept that
maybe it's okay that we keep going.

> The obvious holdup to a release is the number of open issues marked for 2.5.
> I think the idea was to make the 2.5 release the last in the 2.X series
> before moving all development over to yt 3.0.  Is that still the plan?  Is
> it possible to get a 2.5 release out while delaying the end of 2.X
> development to a 2.6 release?

Well, my preference is that 2.5 be the end of the line, but I think if
we release 2.5 now, we can probably also pull off a 2.6.

I'm working this morning on other projects, but this afternoon I'm
going to be posting documentation of where the 3.0 development is, and
what remains to be done before development can be moved over.  Last
week, Nathan, Stephen and I found a couple issues that required a bit
more thought, and I've been largely sidelined since then.  The big
things:

1) Ensuring that particle support is totally shored up
2) Covering grids, which need to be implemented (although I think I
now have an idea the best way to do so)

I'm going to write this afternoon with planning documents, following
on the discussion we had a few weeks ago.

> The reason I bring all this up is mostly for the plot window fixes - we've
> improved it a lot since August and I think it's much more usable now.
> Perhaps a new release and a blog post about the new plotting interface will
> encourage more people to switch over.

This is a great idea.  I would really like to encourage people to
blog, by the way -- we get a surprising amount of traffic, and I think
it's a good way to get the word out about things like the plot window.
 And since you can use the notebook to do it, that just makes it
easier.

> I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.  I know many of you are busy
> with the enzo 2.2 release and probably don't want to make another big push
> so soon.

I think the release push for Enzo is taking a lot more energy than a
similarly timed release push for yt, but I understand where Cameron is
coming from in suggesting we hold off.  So maybe what we *could* do is
file tickets for the items (docs in particular) that need to be
changed and then once Enzo is out the door address the rest.

-Matt