[yt-dev] Testing plot windows

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:08:01 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That should work.  I can write these tests.  Do we care that the data we get
> back is actually correct or just that the plot gets created without
> crashing?

I think we could do a bit of both.  For instance, we should check that
calling set_width updates the FRB, but we don't need to make sure that
changing the labels changes the output plot.  Does that make sense?

> I could envision adding plot creation to the answer tests and then doing a
> bitwise comparison between the raw image arrays that get saved to disk.

Yes, that's also what matplotlib does.  We should think about doing
this (using answer testing) but not for a while, as the plot window is
still a bit in flux.

> I guess in principle the data generation should be tested in the FRB tests
> (do we have FRB tests?).

Not directly.  I can work on those.