[yt-dev] rockstar issues

Christopher Moody cemoody at ucsc.edu
Fri Nov 9 13:15:15 PST 2012

Hi Stephen, Matt,
I haven't run rockstar with multiple readers at all. It also doesn't
segfault for me, and my scripts successfully continue churning on.

Also, I've found that in a few places the force resolution is particularly
touchy. What I naively thought -- that setting the force resolution to 3x
the native resolution would decrease the number of low-mass halos and nail
down the high mass ones -- actually created spurious, *high*-mass halos.
I've seen one instance where two large halos are found only ~5kpc from each
other, but the second one clearly does not exist, and disappears when the
resolution is dropped to from 200pc -> 60pc. I only mention this because we
were talking about this off-list, and because in casual testing I noticed
this counterintuitive trend. Of course, it could just be that I'm only
looking at a few snapshots... but we should definitely keep an option open
for manually setting the force resolution.

chris