[yt-dev] rockstar issues

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:29:17 PST 2012

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> - Has anyone run rockstar with num_readers > 1? I just did a run with
> 4 (on 12 cores total) and I got repeated (but very slightly different)
> halos in the output.

Repeated halos?  Hmm, that's news to me.  Is it in fact running
correctly in parallel?  Or is each one doing its own thing?  Maybe the
particles are being duplicated by being passed to different writers.

The halos will be slightly different, IIRC.  I think Rockstar uses
some random seeding to subselect.  Peter's talk at HIPACC is online (I
think) and provides some insight.

> - When you run rockstar, does it always die with a segfault? On both
> mac and linux, after everything is done the run dies with a segfault
> that I can't make heads or tails of right now. It doesn't seem to
> affect the content of the output, but it's obviously wrong.

This sounds familiar, but I thought it had been addressed.  I think it
might be related to communicators not being deallocated correctly.
Figuring out where it dies would be step 0 to fixing it ... :)