[yt-dev] Call for testing: Projection performance

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:44:29 PDT 2012

Hi Matt & friends,

I tested this on a fairly large nested simulation with about 60k grids
using 6 nodes of Janus (dual-hex nodes) and ran from 1 to 64 processors.  I
got fairly good scaling and made a quick mercurial repo on bitbucket with
everything except the dataset needed to do a similar study.
https://bitbucket.org/samskillman/quad-tree-proj-performance

Raw timing:
projects/quad_proj_scale:more perf.dat
64 2.444e+01
32 4.834e+01
16 7.364e+01
8 1.125e+02
4 1.853e+02
2 3.198e+02
1 6.370e+02

A few notes:
-- I ran with 64 cores first, then again so that the disks were somewhat
warmed up, then only used the second timing of the 64 core run.
-- While I did get full nodes, the machine doesn't have a ton of I/O nodes
so in an ideal setting performance may be even better.
-- My guess would be that a lot of this speedup comes from having a
parallel filesystem, so you may not get as great of speedups on your laptop.
-- Speedup from 32 to 64 is nearly ideal...this is great.

This looks pretty great to me, and I'd +1 any PR.

Sam