[yt-dev] Field units from code to code

Nathan Goldbaum goldbaum at ucolick.org
Thu Mar 29 15:58:54 PDT 2012

+1.  I'd also be up to help out with the sprint.  Doing a virtual sprint using a google hangout might help mitigate some of the distance problems.

While we're brining up Enzo-isms that we should get rid of, I think it might be a good idea to make a conceptual shift in the basic python UI.  Instead referring to the interface between the user and the data as a parameter file, I think instead we should be talking about datasets.  One would instantiate a dataset just like we do now with parameter files:

ds = load(filename)

A dataset would also have some universal attributes which would present themselves to the user as a dict, e.g. ds.units, ds.parameters, ds.basic_info (like current_time, timestep, filename, and simulation code), and ds.hierarchy (not sure how that would interfere with the geometry refactor).

This may be a paintibg the bike shed discussion, but I think this shift will help new users understand how to access their data.  Thoughts?